Elder Bruce C. Hafen gave a talk titled Covenant Marriage. He talks about three wolves that every marriage is tested by. They are, the natural adversity, imperfections of one another, and excessive individualism. I have only been married for five months, but I can already see these wolves trying to sneak in and make a meal out of my marriage.
It is easy to blame other people. It is easier to find faults in others than in ourselves. When things arise, and different situations occur, the easy way out it to find fault in the other person. It takes self-reflection and humility to admit that you too are a part of the problem. I know that there are a lot of times where I just want to blame my husband for why the dishes did not get done, or why the house is a mess, but the truth is, there was a lot more I could have done to help the problem in the first place. I find that these wolves cause a lot of resentment between a couple, which drives the spirit out of our home.
Elder Hafen said "May we restore the concept of marriage as a covenant, even the new and everlasting covenant of marriage. And when the wolf comes, may we be as shepherds, not hirelings, willing to lay down our lives, a day at a time, for the sheep of our covenant. Then, like Adam and Eve, we will have joy." We must keep in mind that marriage is more than a piece of paper. It is a covenant. It is a promise that we made with our spouse and with God. It is everlasting, and it takes work. Like all things that require work, it is worth it. There is nothing that brings me more joy than knowing that I will be with my husband forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment